Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Kindle 2


The Kindle 2 from Amazon officially drops today and I have to say that I am completely intrigued by this device. Some people might think it is too expensive and it really doesn't do all that much. However, if you read maybe more than, uh..., one book a year, the Kindle 2 can be extremely beneficial.


The portability and ease of access really excite me. Part of the appeal of the iPod was that music libraries could be consolidated into a portable device. I don't know about most people, but I don't really miss traveling with a CD Walkman and about 10 discs in my backpack at all times. Why shouldn't there be a device that accomplishes the same with books? Some purists might argue that there is a intrinsic quality to a physical library and I don't necessarily disagree. Still, I like the fact that I can have hit the road with a device as thin as a pencil that can store over 1500 books, while automtically marking where I left off in each of the books I might be reading.

The typeface is another great selling point. The reason that devices like these have failed miserably in the past is because no one could perfect the display. It truly sucks reading on a computer screen all day while fumbling around for the bottle of Advil to kill a fat headache. The Kindle typeface is actually easier on the eyes than a normal book and the font is adjustable to different sizes. In the words of LaDanian Tomlinson "It's clear, crisp. That's why I got a Visio". Shit, wrong product.

The most serious drawback is probably the price. At $359, it's not really a device that is geared to a person who reads an occasional book here or there. If you look at it as somewhat of an investment, though, you can see a great return. All New York Times bestsellers are priced around $9.99 with a good majority of other titles pricing at around $5-7. I really don't feel like computing how many Kindle books it would take to see a return, but feel free. Considering that you get free wi-fi service(similar to a 3G network), it is still competitvely priced.

Check this video of Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos on the Daily Show. Jon: stop being a condescending bastard, and Jeff: stop laughing like an idiot.



Also Lamb Of God released their new album "Wrath" today so I leave you with their new single "Set To Fail". Enjoy and show those horns.

7 Comments:

Dustan Brennan said...

I was enthralled at the Kindle too. All those shades of gray.....Maybe when it decide to take a broad step into the 60's and get a color screen then we can talk. But the free wireless is cool. Also that new Lamb of God is pretty kick ass. They will be featured on Metal Monday next week with a full review.

Ganxt said...

Yes I know how upset you must be knowing that you can't read Miss Nelson Is Missing in full color but have patience my dear! I'm sure the fine engineers at Amazon have a color Kindle in the works so those who fancy 12 and under picture books won't be left in the dark.

MindTrap said...

Wow. Where to begin???

1. Can you fully surf the web on this thing or is it in some way restricted to book buying sites? Stupid question, I know. But you never know with these "cutting edge" electronics.

2. Is Pirate Bay safe fro me to go get the new L.o.G.? And Ganxt, spare me the pansy, liberal, "stealing is bad" sermon and just answer the question.

3. Skips, we wait with bated breath to find out who will be featured on "metal mondays" and now you've ruined it. I hate you.

4. While I agree that the Skipper is really dumb, he makes a valid point. You would think that they would include a color screen for $400. What really sucks is that they'll probably release a "colored" one and charge even more for it. You'd probably suck that one off too. You're getting robbed. I've NEVER been in a position where I needed to carry more than 2 or 3 books with me at once, much less 1500. And I think this device is completely different from an iPod. I can definitely see the need for carrying hundreds of songs around with you. I can't, however, envision the need to do the same with books. If you actually say, with a straight face, that something like that is necessary, I'm gonna slap your face.

Jeff 81 said...

Yeah sorry, Timmy, not feeling you on this one. Your oversimplification of the fact that this device is useful for those who "read more than one book a year" is not exactly accurate. The same applies to your comparison between this and an iPod. No one needs access to hundreds of books at once, it's not practical. Personally, I only like to read one book at a time, but I know others may read, what 2-4 books at once maybe? How is that such a burden to carry? It's not like each book is the size of a dictionary. With an iPod, someone may want to hear a bunch of different songs or have access to lots of different albums, no one just randomly picks at hundreds of books, reads a random chapter, and then puts it away. Add on the fact that it costs $359 (!!)...no fuckin' way.

Ganxt said...

I think you guys are missing the point: I'm not saying that people have the need to carry around a Kindle because they're reading 100 books at a time. Consolidating maybe 2-3 books that you're currently reading while being able to purchase additional books at 1/3 of the cover price without having to go to B&N is nice. My main argument for the Kindle was that if you're an avid reader, you can eventually see a return on the initial investment with a device that may just make the reading experience more enjoyable.

However, your argument against Kindle based on storage is flawed. If you try to justify the need for an iPod with more than 30GB, that's trash. Maybe I'm speaking for myself on this one, but I don't generally listen to 200 albums in my rotation. There's usually about 5-10 with maybe another 10 classic go-to staples, with the rest of them maybe garnering an occasional listen.

Off the wall thought: what if they made college textbooks that were formatted for the Kindle? Enormous savings plus no need to lug around 4 books all day.

Uber: You might exercise caution while using torrents tracked on Pirate Bay because of this. But to answer your question, torrenting is always a method to score some jamz ;)

Dustan Brennan said...

You all disgust me with all this talk of stealing from hard working artist that just might need that extra 9.99 to buy their gold-plated shark tank, or that spare Bentley for those quick trip to Walgreens!

MindTrap said...

Napster BAAADDDD! Fire BAAADDDD!